Twelve yellow roses (Mature themes)

So you found a new playground, hm? Now you just need to find where you fit in the best. Come, let's take a walk.
Kamala
IGN: Kamala
Lineage: Pavor
Graphic Artist: Vetras

Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:18 pm

Four years earlier....

"Anika needs someone to look over her, Kamala. As her brother, it is my charge and as my wife, yours by proxy to ensure we find someone to watch over her. The wolves will come now that my parents have made it known they will accept proposals for her arranged marriage. You don't want her and the Singh name to be tarnished should a less suitable man get a hold of her before she could be married off do you?" Raj asked in his usual condescending tone. Kamala shook her head as she sipped her tea or at least she tried to before Raj knocked the cup out of her hand. "You will answer me..." his voice rang among the shattering of yet another lovely tea cup. Her eyes barely made contact with his because she was thankful it was the cup and not her face and looking at him might piss him off yet again. "Of course it would be my honor to pick someone to take care of your sister, Mera Pyar. I was just wondering why you would have asked me. I know you prefer the more advanced decisions to be made by you. Thank you for asking me."

She tried to look contrite, sorry that she had questioned his decision to have her choose. It must have placated him enough because an attendant brought her a new cup of tea but took away her breakfast. A reminder that one just needed enough to survive, not to grow fat and embarrass. Nothing would be said because the last time she mentioned that she hadn't been finished, he had struck her so hard the personal physician had to come because she was coughing up blood. Today she remained silent and prayed the tea kept at bay the hunger in her stomach until the next meal. Raj always kissed her passionately before he left her alone, as if that made up for everything. It bothered her to pick someone to essentially shadow Anika but she wouldn't question Raj about it because she had managed three days without him laying a hand on her in anger and she had little desire to break that streak.

One by one she interviewed the watchers for Anika and in the end, it was him she selected. Naaim Khan, a man who had a build that showed enough strength she didn't doubt he could protect her sister in law but was lean enough he would not seem like some ridiculous bodyguard clomping behind Anika making her more uncomfortable than this would already be. Raj still slapped Kamala for her choice though assuming she had chosen Naaim because he was handsome not because based on his merits he was the best fit for the job. That's when he told her the watcher wasn't for Anika, it was for her. He didn't trust that she wasn't running around on him or telling people about what he did to her. Guess what's a more cruel punishment than having to pick your own capture?

Six months ago....

New York is so beautiful at this time of year. The leaves have changed and it's grown dark enough early enough that Kamala could take her walks again like she used to when Raj would bring her to the city. Now she got to travel it alone and there was a peace at not having to worry if she lingered too long or smiled at somebody she'd be punished. Josephine had warned her however to be careful if the crowds got overwhelming to leave as fast as possible. No massacres in the middle of Central Park. She sighed as she tried to just enjoy a few nights away to do shopping and leave poor Kael and Josephine to themselves. She wasn't a bad house guest but still she was in their private space and they needed their time together not to mention she didn't need to hear them. It was funny how a smell could either bring you the greatest joy or have your stomach plunging into the center of the Earth. The beautiful scent of cherry tobacco wafted towards her nose. Normally that wouldn't be an issue but she wasn't smoking and only one brand of cigarettes smelled quite that beautiful to her nose. Maybe it was coincidence she thought looking around but not able to see anyone smoking that would have that and this was New York City after all so maybe it was just happenstance that someone was smoking her favorite cigarette but in all her life it had only been Naaim that she had ever known to smoke it. Probably because the fuckers were expensive as hell and she had seen how much Raj was paying him to make sure his little bird didn't escape her cage.

Seeing no one she continued on but every now and again that scent would waft to her. Kamala let it be as it was so fleeting, it must just be a tourist who was walking upwind from her but then she turned the corner and saw her fears were not at all off. There was Naaim smoking and hanging out at the outdoor bar. Had Raj sent him to find her? Kamala panicked inside not knowing what to do but doing her damnedest to get out of his line of sight. She was not fucking going back to Raj and if it meant killing Naaim, as much as she had grown to like him towards the end, she'd do it to protect herself and the Cartigans.
City Medical Director and Veterinarian
Silver's Baby Sister | Josephine's Reina (RIP) | NT's Love