Creatively Challenged

Are you seeking advice from fellow writers, or perhaps have something valuable to share or discuss? Use this section to do just that and help strengthen our community! Post in our "References" thread, or browse, for the best tips and tricks. Discuss writing topics from character creation and world building, to sentence structure and grammar for flow. Whatever your technical and creative needs, find those resources and discussions here!
Fred
IGN: Albert+Knox

Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:16 pm

Elijah wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:00 pm
I just stare at my screen and cry, mostly 8')
I've been in a stopped-up rut myself, that goold ol' creative constipation.

I have to agree with Sam, too, that you should just write it. Write the shit, write the awful. Write the stuff you're embarrassed and ashamed by because that little voice in your head says "This could be better".

Other things I do besides cry, or lay there lifelessly beside the keyboard, are:

1) Daydream. It doesn't hurt anything, there's no judgement here. You can be Alice and your brain is Wonderland.
2) Imagine a different turn of events in a movie you enjoy. What if ___? What would happen? How would the people react? What is the impact?
3) Narrate your own life during your commute to work, or make up stories for the people you pass.
4) Find prompts and finish them. Make them ridiculous, serious, scary, sad, hilarious.
5) Pinterest. I find all kinds of inspiring images and freedom on there, and it gives me a place to organize my thoughts out.
Maddox
IGN: MadHeart
Graphic Artist: Banner by me.

Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:02 pm

After reading all of these suggestions, the only thing I've not done is write the shit. I've done everything in the world, it seems, to avoid writing the shit. That and crying at my screen.

Guess I have to suck it up and do the thing. |:
Gypsy
OOC: Kathy
IGN: Gypsy

Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:57 pm

I get the same issue since in my job I do a ton of technical writing so trying to write fiction after 8 hours of technical writing is often a challenge.

I will listen to classical musical or (and don't laugh) Yanni or John Tesh, or ethinic music...Irish, Middle Eastern, something that frees my brain. I find when I listen to main stream it closes my mind.

I know this sounds stupid but watching movies like Lifetime and Hallmark that are "bubble gum" movies lets me just free my mind.
FAMILIA SUPRA OMNIA
de Draak
Just keep loving me; I'll keep loving you and the rest will fall into place.
Madadh
IGN: Grin

Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:23 pm

I hate to sound like a broken record, but...

To have output, there must be input. Don't push too hard for creative output. Give yourself some time to rest and marinate, if you have to.

When I'm blocked, I can read as little as a few pages of a book and I'm unblocked. It's just that your brain stagnates if you read and write the same things and rhythms over and over, again. If you introduce the rhythm of a new voice, your mind absorbs it. It's like if you only eat one type of food for a long time then you may bet a vitamin deficiency, because there are things you need from other foods in order to have a functioning system.

Also, if you're taking things way too seriously, it could be time to watch a comedy.
unexpressed emotions will never die.
they are buried alive and will come forth later in
- - - .u g l i e r . w a y s. - - -
sigmund freud
Dae
IGN: Dae-Hyun
Lineage: Kim

Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:37 pm

Comedy works great.
| Aki ~ My Salvation | Sacrifice ~ My Heart | Gir ~ My Soul |
| Let him who would move the world first move himself - Socrates |
Maddox

Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:50 am

Reading usually does the trick. This is some next level blockade, though. I've never been blocked like this before. I feel like an artist who is going blind.

I purposely stopped writing to absorb instead, thinking I needed a break, I needed to be with nature and the world for a while, I needed to read, watch movies, TV, some anime, study, research...But, when I came back to write: nothing.

However, what Micah said applies to me as well. I can do RP with others. Only on chat services, though. Every attempt to post to the forum has been met with the same blockade. I can't even compile or reconfigure a CS.

It feels like I'm losing grasp of it all. What I thought was so sure is now becoming foreign to me (it's made me revisit the basics, back to middle school English class). Idk if that makes sense, but it's been haunting me lately.

The last 'comedy' I watched was John Dies at the End just a couple of days ago.

The issue might also be my lack of solitude. I share a room and I work from 2:30PM and get home at midnight surrounded by people the entire time. I hardly have the silence to dream while my brother watches TV throughout the entire night. When I get a day off, I attempt to write through all the noise in the house. It never happens.

I'm moving, though. So, if that really is the issue, things should improve.
Lyric
OOC: Danielle
IGN: Lyric

Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:42 am

You might feel a little silly, I did the first few times but occasionally when I am having trouble, I open a notepad on my phone with the speak to text on and just talk to the phone. It's helped get things out, a lot. I found more than a few times that staring at the keyboard can be daunting for me... especially when I have an idea just teetering on the brink, hoping to come out. A lot of the ideas I have had, usually stem from every day. I wrote a snippet of an rp about Lyric spending the day at the laundromat because that's where I found myself stuck. "Huh... I wonder what she'd do." and just spun it from there. I hope you get passed your block, it sucks when they creep up and worm their way into your brain.
꧁Fated꧂
ira
IGN: ira

Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:45 pm

Maddox wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:50 am
I'm worried I'll never write, again.
I'm no stranger to the Output Monster. I know that if I feel like I need to present somebody with something 'well-written' then it gets harder and harder for me to write: I get consumed by a kind of spiral. It's that classic 'blank screen and blinking cursor' thing, sitting around in my desk chair and turning it back and forth and squeezing my stress ball.

There's no Output (with a capital O, because it's very important and sophisticated Output), because I get so caught up in overthinking what I'm trying to write. I forget that they call it a rough draft for a reason. I have to consciously remind myself that not all of my ideas are going to be good ideas, that I'm allowed to fuck up and do bad and be outlandishly, awfully wrong, that it's okay to make it not-pretty and messy and even make no sense, at all, the first time around, that dialogue's allowed to not be honed, that it's allowed to be junky and stilted, that things are allowed to be dumb or misspoken or ineffective. It's okay!

I'm going through a little bit of an Output block myself, lately, but if I go back and look through one-on-one RP I've done on Discord, I am writing. I'm writing every single day! I'm writing Sunday - Saturday, in fact, almost continuously. Any shred of spare time I have? Writing. I've been told by a close friend that he doesn't know exactly how I can produce this much golden garbage so endlessly and efficiently. To which I say, 'Tom, I'm a trash monster!' I'm making words, so, there's definitely something happening (writing!). I think maybe it's just a matter of how you feel about the writing that you are doing and whether or not that writing is lending anything to your end goal, if you have one, how much of that writing is 'usable as writing' (in italics because it's all very important and sophisticated writing). In essence, I'm saying that my own Output block is more based on how I feel about the things I'm producing and not whether I'm actually producing something which is always better than producing nothing at all.

If I use the idea of painting as a framework/analogy, you may feel like RP is making practice strokes with your brush, and while some of those practice strokes are very pretty and nice, you just really want to create something cohesive that you can step away from, look at, and nod your head saying, 'This, I'm reasonably proud of.' I get that. I understand that. I often feel the same way.

It could definitely be a lack of solitude, especially if you're into writing things with more INxx than ISxx? I have trouble writing if I don't have some kind of privacy to do it in. Even if that privacy is 'public privacy': As long as there aren't any Space Invaders (not the game, but when people get 'interested' in what I'm doing: 'You're over there typing up a storm.' 'Omg are you writing a novel?' 'God you type fast.') looking over my shoulder. Like they're trying to make conversation with me while I'm doing the most intimate thing humanly possible BESIDES masturbation or sex?

Have you forgotten to take notes? Have you played any writing games with yourself?

Writing Down the Bones is my favorite book for writing exercises. It's a pocket-sized manual and I think this particular copy of it is a dollar and ninety-nine cents, though don't feel pressured to invest in anything like that. There are other writing games out there all over the internet.

If you have a good thesaurus, you can do a 'word jumble': You flip to random pages, point at words, then write three or so down and make yourself incorporate those words into your writing. Or go crazy and write the most thesaurus-y purple prose-y thing that you possibly can. Write 'bad' on purpose! Make up a list of outlandish metaphors! Mix and mash cliches to make Frankencliches. Do 'random topic' clicks on Wikipedia, then force yourself to somehow integrate some of that topic into a paragraph.

Also, Meg (Seppuku's writer) has been putting up some pretty interesting/fun writing challenges.

Maybe you (like myself) are just noticing a lack of attention span when it comes to production, maybe caused by a forming dependence on other people writing with you. I know if I have somebody there to write with me, I'll choose that over writing by myself almost every time. Why? Because it's more entertaining and gratifying: I get to write and read at the same time, all the while producing this magnificent, wonderful thing with somebody else to our mutual gratification/enjoyment! And you get to control how fast it happens, or how slow it happens, and you get to delve into all the intricate parts of everything that you may feel like (I know I do) you miss in movies or in short and snappy books, etc. It's your realm to explore in and you get to do it with a partner or partners, so it's as if you're getting your writing and reading in at the same time!

Then, when it comes to sitting down to do what we call 'real writing' (The Output Monster) we're tapped out from horsing around and we feel like it shows. It's like we're doing our best game-playing while we're practicing for the Big Leagues!

If you're working for like ten / twelve hours a day and you're coming home to people and moving is happening and/or about to happen, then there could just be too much going on in your life for your brain to form anything long-winded or coherent (which is that super important and sophisticated stuff the Output Monster pitches a nasty fit demanding).

It could be that you need a new writing partner or new writing partners, because your brain isn't made to do the same thing over and over, again! Maybe you need to focus on a new character or add in a new NPC or just put your characters into a novel setting?

If you're a compulsive writer, like me, then it's likely you're doing a lot more writing than you think you are, and maybe (like me) it's just a matter of taking yourself way too seriously?

As far as I've calculated, you've written an estimated 536 words in this thread, alone, and that is definitely writing.
[ WHERE HAVE ALL THE GOOD MEN GONE AND WHERE ARE ALL THE GODS? ]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
[ WHERE'S THE STREETWISE HERCULES TO FIGHT THE RISING ODDS? ]
Maddox

Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:21 pm

I have, haven't I? I suppose my issue is creative writing, or creativity in general. If it was as simple as this, typing these words, then I wouldn't have an issue.

For example, I write about my characters for this site before I publicly write them. I have many files on characters, even ones recently made. Writing about them, however, isn't the same as writing the story. Unless summaries are the new narration, I'm stuck.

I do see all of these wonderful challenges, and I want to participate, but it'd all be a steaming pile of shit, and I don't like to offer shit, even if that's what I produce. So, I'll shit in private.

I used to scoff at the idea of creative blocks because I know many ways to get past it, I know why it usually happens, but not this time. This time, it feels like I've lost the proper quality that makes creativity possible. It's like I'm a machine who knows what writing is, has broken it down, but can't create anything of my own. It went from being a thing I've known how to do all of my life to something seemingly impossible to do. I find myself amazed by simple sentences in narration and prose, these days. "How did you think of that? Why did you arrange the words like that? Where did you learn to do this? Tell me your secrets."

And then, at the end of it all, I'm left thinking that the attempt to write is useless because nothing I come up with will be original or interesting or even executed correctly.

I can't even imagine how I managed to write any kind of story up until this point...I want to attribute it to depression and other such things that I don't suffer from anymore. Do I have to be suffering in order to be creative? That is something I've been wondering about for a while now...
Madadh
IGN: Grin

Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:08 pm

All I can do is offer my sympathies.

I feel like I'm in that spot, a lot, but I generally write 'through' it.

Suffering gives you something to write about.

Suffering is what drives plot. The suffering, then the journey to end that suffering: Hunger, thirst, the need to breathe all the way up to self-actualization, etc.

Maybe it's harder for you to write about somebody suffering when you don't feel like you're suffering, yourself.

'Originality' is... complicated. Yes, everything has been said, before, but at the same time, nobody's ever said it exactly like you'll say it, or done it exactly like you'll do it.
unexpressed emotions will never die.
they are buried alive and will come forth later in
- - - .u g l i e r . w a y s. - - -
sigmund freud