The Gallery - Banner Showcase

Claim your face before it is taken! Show off your art work and get advice on how to improve it - all things graphic.

Moderators: Kastanje, Addie

Amara
OOC: Kristen
IGN: SaintAmara
Graphic Artist: Harv

Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:49 am

Greyce wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:32 pm
I think that Vex graphic is lovely. I think the only thing I've noticed more than anything, is that the left half of his face is hard to distinguish from the light beside it. I know it's a very clean cut-out job that you've done, so I know his face is there. It looked like a floating eye and eyebrow at a quick glance. The colors all blend and work to each other's advantages nicely, and I get washed out/dystopian vibes from it.

I wasn't going to post these, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I love iiit! 😍
• SAINTAMARA •
Lilou
OOC: Adan
IGN: Lilou
Lineage: Halcyon

Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:06 am

Seppuku wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:01 pm
That Willa banner is fantastic.

( ╯°□°)╯ ┻━━┻

WHY ARE YOU FLIPPING TABLES?
THAT'S GORGEOUS. WTF.

ALL THE THINGS ON THESE LAST FEW PAGES ARE AMAZING.
H A L C Y O N .
Madadh
IGN: Grin

Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:04 pm

Azara wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:55 am

I haven't done text in a while because I keep having my computer reformatted and never get around to downloading/reinstalling fonts. >.o I'm out of practice, and I feel like it's super off balance/too close to the right edge, but I also like the idea I was going for with the little pointy thing coming off the border, so... halp?
i wouldn't worry too much about the size or the shape. mine are always a little bit off: i don't always use the maximum amount of pixels available. in fact, i usually don't, because i feel like there's something i can crop out for the sake of the overall image. the text is wonderful, despite you saying you have a lack of fonts on-hand. it looks like it's glitching and gives a sense of movement complemented by the 'fade' of the church, candles, and blood. the contrast, saturation, and the choice of highlight and shadow colors (or lack thereof all work very well together. it's beautiful. i'm always excited to see you make things.

as far as the balance goes, i think it's fine. because the left side of the image is so bright and detailed and busy, the right side of the image being darker and less busy gives the benefit of not over-stimulating the audience, and the thick font and busy text are enough to make up for the darkness. because you made the 'subtitle' darker and smaller and used an even smaller embellishment to balance and centralize the font, there's no visual issue. the 'VEX' is positioned well: it's all in the bottom, right hand 'rule of thirds' area.

Greyce wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:32 pm
I think the only thing I've noticed more than anything, is that the left half of his face is hard to distinguish from the light beside it. I know it's a very clean cut-out job that you've done, so I know his face is there. It looked like a floating eye and eyebrow at a quick glance.
same.

this is an example of what 'backlight' does to a person.

Greyce wrote:I wasn't going to post these, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

even though you weren't going to post them, i'm glad you did. i'm so freaking picky about images i use for grin that i can't make anything for him, ever, so i'm really excited that somebody's done it for me. the edits are great. thank you for getting so involved with it: the man's dumb fucking hat tan line and the paleness around his eyes from his sunglasses, the color of the eyes, his jacket's collar, even the texture of each little individual hair. your backlight edge looks great, and you were right: it looks better without the font.

ft. greyce photobombing tho. you were right: it looks better without the font.

amara's is smooth and gorgeous. the hair on that one and the hair on willa's are equally as impressive as the hair on grin's, even though i'm aware you constructed the hair on grin's head out of a lot of different various hairs (from experience i know it's a very time-consuming task, unless i'm just doing it wrong and making it more complicated than i should). amara's background is gorgeous and gives the impression of theatrics and fireworks, which really speak volumes about the character, herself. i love the colors you chose and how they're so girly (like the feathers and the lights and the pompom earring) but her expression is almost aggressive/smug/proud (aries tho) like the handwriting chosen to write her name.

Greyce wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:54 am
Image Image
the contrast and sharpness of her eyes / eyelids / hair are gorgeous and i love sad bubbles. the stark whitness of the highlights and the lack of deep blacks are nice. i love it.

Seppuku wrote:

( ╯°□°)╯ ┻━━┻

i really appreciate your title choices, in general, but i think this one is really elegant / exceptional. the milky opacity of the 'holder' for the font is really nice and the stretch of the letters with the all caps indicate a closed-off introverted individual who operates from a stoic perspective, slightly formal with tons of walls. the lightening of the milk glass and the change in color/contrast effectively draws attention to the font. i don't know the character, but if that's him, then you've really done the text right. i appreciate the different cropping perspective. it makes me want to try out new cropping perspectives, myself.

i do feel like his shoulders get lost a little bit on the left and right sides. the glow on the cigarette is beautiful and i love your chosen color scheme.

Marias wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:42 pm
please don't judge yourself too harshly. you're doing great and just the fact that you're making something, at all, already means you're doing good and making progress. even if you're not where you'd like to be in quality (who ever is, though), he's cut very smoothly and precisely and you caught individual hairs which isn't an easy task, so you're already a leg up.

your lighting is cohesive and your colors match wonderfully. the rustic wood background and the home state and the landscape inside the home state cut-out are all character representative. i noticed you have a 'backlight' glow around your model. i think that if you changed it from a glow to a shadow, it might be a little more cohesive, for this image, but i also can't be totally sure. thank you for sharing.

please can i stop talking about backlight effects, now. christ.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
SCREEN-TO-SCREEN
COLOR AND CONTRAST
DIFFERENCES:
ANSWERED
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
i'm not sure if anybody else struggles with the issue i mentioned i was having a while ago.

but!

this is the answer for computer-to-computer image viewing and how the contrast and colors often vary between devices. using the EMBED COLOR PROFILE method of saving your images is supposed to reduce the integral incompatibility between all devices. now, people can see what you see on your screen instead of viewing your work the way that their device interprets the output. at least that's what i've come to understand.

if i remember to do it, i'll post an example of my two differing saves next time i make something, because the quality of the images between my devices seems to vary so heavily. that isn't to say what you guys see is necessarily bad or i'm down on what i've made because of these subtle differences, there are just things that don't translate between devices.

if you're having trouble figuring out the steps to do this, tell me and i'll explain.

with that being said, WHOO. i talk a lot.

tl;dr??: you did a good job; thank you for sharing with me.
unexpressed emotions will never die.
they are buried alive and will come forth later in
- - - .u g l i e r . w a y s. - - -
sigmund freud
Seppuku
OOC: Megatron
IGN: Seppuku
Lineage: Corvidae

Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:04 pm

Oh jeeze. (´ ε ` )♡ Thanks, guys. I appreciate the feedback.
in the company of birds
O R N I T H O L O G Y
Lucky me, I see ghosts.
Zach
OOC: Deen
IGN: Zach
Graphic Artist: Megatron :D

Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:54 pm

Seppuku wrote:

( ╯°□°)╯ ┻━━┻

I hope you're flipping the table because you're so hype about how AMAZING this freakin' banner is.
Childe of the Great Eye Collector
And when the world grows still and you feel a chill
Just know I'm there, cause I'm your ghost, cause I'm your ghost
Xedanis
OOC: None
IGN: None
Clan: None
Lineage: None
Graphic Artist: None

Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:59 pm

All my fanboy is belong to Meg.

Image Image

Srsly can we just talk about the INSANELY AWESOME detail here?! THERE IS LEGIT A BOTTLE OF ACTUAL MOONSLIVER.
Greyce
IGN: Greyce

Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:30 pm

Marias wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:42 pm
I am having an awful time making banenrs lately but

I really, really dig this. I like the way the background isn't as in-focus as the model in front, and a lot of the points that have already been touched on are ones I agree with. I think you're being way too hard on yourself. It's a solid piece to be proud of.
Seppuku wrote:

( ╯°□°)╯ ┻━━┻
Thank you! I adore (and cannot say how much) the way you managed the text and coloring.
Rhet wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:56 pm
damn lil u on fire this week snaps
Hey thanks, fwiend. I appreciate it!
Willa wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:28 am
See Lil I told you your banners are perfect but most importantly so are u 💖

I still can’t get over the fucking Barbie house I can’t its perf
Okay but for real, if I didn't have your support on the two I posted first, I'd have probably taken them down and given up. It's nice to be noticed. you a star <3
ophelia wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:53 am
This is amazing and that avi is fu...hecking adorable!
Thank you very much!
Amara wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:49 am
I love iiit! 😍
I tried to get as much in here as possible.
Also thank you, Harv, for being a solid source of inspiration and advice. I had to keep the photobomb. If he gets no peace in RP, he can have none in graphics. Or something like that.
And thank you for your constructive criticism and for taking the time to find helpful references for all of us. I could have probably looked it up, but that requires effort, and you cut out the need for effort.
I adore you. <3

Let's keep all the positivity and creativity flowin'!
cause you are, the only one
Jenny
IGN: Jenny
Clan: House of Silence
Lineage: O’Collin
Graphic Artist: Harv

Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:31 pm

Wow. That Xedanis set is hands down stunning.
C S   •   J O U R N A L
L I Z   •   D E Z   •   D E E   •   H I L D A   •   D A L Y
O ’ C O L L I N   •   H O U S E   O F   S I L E N C E
Azara
IGN: Azara

Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:02 pm

Thanks to everyone for the advice/props; I'll play around with his face when I get a minute >.>

Everything on this page is utterly fab, but this...
Xedanis wrote:

Image Image

Srsly can we just talk about the INSANELY AWESOME detail here?! THERE IS LEGIT A BOTTLE OF ACTUAL MOONSLIVER.
Holy fuckballs, this is amazing. A-M-A-Z-I-N-G.
Ember
OOC: Flower
IGN: Ember Argent
Lineage: Beefcake
Graphic Artist: Self

Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:48 pm

Azara wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:02 pm
Xedanis wrote:

Image Image

Holy fuckballs, this is amazing. A-M-A-Z-I-N-G.
Seconded.
Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness.
It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift.