CHALLENGE | Community Growth and Development: Graphic Edition

Claim your face before it is taken! Show off your art work and get advice on how to improve it - all things graphic.

Moderators: Kastanje, Addie

Greyce
IGN: Greyce

Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:27 pm

Hey all!
I thought the community needed some spicing up recently, and thought that nothing could do that better than a friendly competition.
The goal is to create a cohesive photo-manipulation with a minimum of three separate pictures incorporated into it. It does not have to be a standard banner / graphic, but it should not be smaller than 500x200 pixels. The style, subject, and theme does not have to relate to RB but it can if you would like! And as far as style goes, you cannot use your traditional style. If you need clarification on what I mean by this, please let me know!

Okay, but why a competition?
Because I’ve been performing my own kind of social experiments, and I want all of you to join me!

What do we get if we win?
First place: $10 real people money. Or if you want credits, I can offer those.
Second place: $5 real people money, or credits.

The rules are as follows:
Variation of style: You must use a style different from your own.
~ Why? Because this is a challenge and a competition where the goal isn’t necessarily the prize, but the ability to grow and develop.

Image incorporation: You must incorporate 3 separate images.
~ How is up to you.

Progress pictures: You must show three pictures of your progress.
~ It’s important to me that this be taken seriously, and this helps ensure that no one is stealing already made graphics off Google.

Original piece: Cannot be a copy of another person’s work.
~ This goes along with the rule above, but also within this community. If you rip someone off, you’re disqualified.
~ If you want to remake your own piece in another style, please let me know!

Mystery Rule: This is secret, and will be explained at the end. Remember this is loosely akin to a social experiment.
~ I’ll give you a clue, and it is as follows: the criteria for this rule is in the title.

Please post all responses and pictures of progression in this thread. Just a spectator? You can join us, too! Please make sure that all final posts are PM’d to me here as I will be collecting them to judge.
Judging with be unbiased and very strictly left to the rules and guidelines listed. I'll provide appropriate feedback and criticism after everything has been finalized.
Dimensions are up to you, however no less than 500x200 pixels.

The start of the competition is February 5th.
Competition ends on February 19th.
Winners will be announced on February 26th.

What are we judged on?
~ Degree of difficulty
~ Composition
~ Transformation (start to finish)
~ Variation from typical style
~ Mystery rule mentioned under rules
Last edited by Greyce on Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cause you are, the only one
Joy
OOC: Katie
IGN: Joy
Lineage: de Draak

Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:41 pm

I don't understand.
|| de Draak ||
Greyce

Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:44 pm

Jauk wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:41 pm
I don't understand.
Okay! I'd love to know how I can clear this up so that there's less confusion. Do you mind explaining what it is you don't understand so I can offer clarification?
Joy

Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:47 pm

The required task is to make a graphic design picture of some sort that has 3 pictures in it all together in some way? Can be anything, but has to be unrelated to something you would normally do?
|| de Draak ||
Greyce

Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:52 pm

Jauk wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:47 pm
The required task is to make a graphic design picture of some sort that has 3 pictures in it all together in some way? Can be anything, but has to be unrelated to something you would normally do?
The task is to make a photo-manipulation, also known as graphic, that has a minimum of three separate pictures incorporated into it. It can be the size of a standard banner (also known as graphic), or larger. There are a lot of graphic artists in the community who stick to their own traditional styles, and part of the guideline is that they step out and away from their standard style to try something new. I'm not sure if I clarified that enough, or not. Please let me know, or PM me if I haven't.
Joy

Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:10 pm

Greyce wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:52 pm
The task is to make a photo-manipulation, also known as graphic, that has a minimum of three separate pictures incorporated into it. It can be the size of a standard banner (also known as graphic), or larger. There are a lot of graphic artists in the community who stick to their own traditional styles, and part of the guideline is that they step out and away from their standard style to try something new. I'm not sure if I clarified that enough, or not. Please let me know, or PM me if I haven't.
It seems like it makes as much sense to me as it's going to because I don't know much about graphic art lol. I'll be interested to see what gets made! :)
|| de Draak ||
Greyce

Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:14 pm

Jauk wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:10 pm
It seems like it makes as much sense to me as it's going to because I don't know much about graphic art lol. I'll be interested to see what gets made! :)
I'm sorry I couldn't clear it up, but I'm glad it caught your interest! I'm excited to see what happens too. :D
Hestia
IGN: Hestia

Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:50 am

This is the bees knees. I was ambivalent about bringing my laptop on vacation and this settled it. :D

Future idea: give people 3 images to work with and see what people churn out 8]
Greyce

Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:43 am

Hestia wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:50 am
This is the bees knees. I was ambivalent about bringing my laptop on vacation and this settled it. :D

Future idea: give people 3 images to work with and see what people churn out 8]
Depending on how well this goes, if it goes, I certainly will! Happy vacationing!
Vex
Editor
OOC: Lyssa
IGN: Vex
Graphic Artist: Megatron

Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:44 am

Okayso, I did a thing. It's not really a huge variation on my style, but I also haven't srsly done a photomanip in literal years that I actually enjoyed. I had fun with this, and it's a different kind of surrealism than my normal.

Here is the thing: Note: I changed out the OG house of cards pic from step 1 'cause it sucked. It was exchanged for something I had saved on my computer. The rest of the stock (more or less) can be found here:
https://faestock.deviantart.com/art/St- ... -295982288
https://wolfc-stock.deviantart.com/art/ ... s-46008288
https://wolverine041269.deviantart.com/ ... -366364968 + 2 more from the same collection
https://blueangelstock.deviantart.com/art/Sky-257282106
https://www.deviantart.com/art/STOCK-St ... -242489593
𒀭𒄊𒀕𒃲
In this twilight how dare you speak of grace

Character Sheet - - The Recovery Diaries