Blood Oaths

For breaking news, journalistic reports, and other thought-provoking articles written by both staff and our readership.
Dea
IGN: Dea di Luna
Lineage: Mahorela
Graphic Artist: Harv!

Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:28 pm

Julia wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:07 am
So… no severances what so ever. Like a sibling… okay. But it’s an oath.

So, one can choose their family here, that's been a thing since the beginning. That’s a given. However, families can disown other family members, completely cut them off and out of their lives, why wouldn't they want to do that with oath bindings?

Mind you an oath is an oath. Oaths can be broken. And usually heavy penalties happen as a consequence.

What about Sires/partners summoning their childer(s)/Partner and forcing a blood oath on the other party because it’s not required that both parties pay, and there is no way to remove it. That is a flaw in the system, and extremely nonconsensual. Unless that has been discussed as well, and also the issue of people being able to rob other people in the building.

So, you could just say, oh, do not be in the same building at the same time… but obviously this was overlooked.
This.

I believe she also used the word 'opportunistic'. Things change with the wind here and hate runs deep. Emotion and the need for vengeance make a lot of decisions in the heat of the moment and I can see this being used in ways it perhaps was not intended.

Azara scrolled T into the halls just to bind to him and successfully so. While really funny and reversible, it wouldn't be nearly as funny if they were stuck together forever when T had no choice in the matter.

It should surely be reversible and, also as Julia has suggested, both parties should have to pay in.
Mahorela | Flesh of His Flesh
Seyda
OOC: Stephanie
IGN: Seyda
Lineage: St. John
Graphic Artist: Kenna

Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:32 pm

ophelia wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:28 am
Seyda wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:23 am
I’m not even going to bother bring up mechanic issues anymore. Honestly, the characteristics that would make someone do this—having a small brain that doesn’t know what they don’t know but a giant ego that makes them think they do—are the exact same characteristics of people who won’t listen anyway.
Listen Blondie, I'm going to need you do dumb this down a bit.
Bringing up that there should have been conversation before people go and do things unilaterally because of unintended consequences is useless because the people doing it will just sit over there on a bus seat together talking about how great they are instead of recognizing the potential harm and complication they are creating for others by operating in a “I know best for all of you” vacuum.
jamessos
OOC: Derrick
IGN: James Locke
Lineage: St. John

Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:45 pm

While I love the concept in theory of a Blood Oath among siblings or like a band of brothers, I see this as being abused. Especially with it being unbreakable.

While we can say it's meant more for siblings, we know it's going to be used romantically. And I fear especially in regards to new citizens that we will see a trend of players who dont understand the type of bond this is, or become trapped in a bond with someone abusing them with no ability to escape.

Especially when you can blood oath on one side.

Can also see people calling others to "blood oath" having one person agree to the oath and pay, then the other person just refuses, since it can be done one sided.

I have fears of the implications of this type of bonding. But its here now, and we will just have to decide on our morals how we view it.
Arallara
IGN: Arallara
Lineage: Blackstone
Graphic Artist: Tessa

Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:47 pm

People always had the ability to make a blood oath and not have it shown. It doesn’t have to mean you are connected by love. The oath could be to hunt you or yours, it could be to protect you always. You are not required to reciprocate an oath or even to acknowledge it.
<3 Anthony’s <3
House of Blackstone
Narcisssa
IGN: Narcisssa
Lineage: ...
Graphic Artist: Mandolin!

Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:49 pm

Dea wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:28 pm
Julia wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:07 am
So… no severances what so ever. Like a sibling… okay. But it’s an oath.

So, one can choose their family here, that's been a thing since the beginning. That’s a given. However, families can disown other family members, completely cut them off and out of their lives, why wouldn't they want to do that with oath bindings?

Mind you an oath is an oath. Oaths can be broken. And usually heavy penalties happen as a consequence.

What about Sires/partners summoning their childer(s)/Partner and forcing a blood oath on the other party because it’s not required that both parties pay, and there is no way to remove it. That is a flaw in the system, and extremely nonconsensual. Unless that has been discussed as well, and also the issue of people being able to rob other people in the building.

So, you could just say, oh, do not be in the same building at the same time… but obviously this was overlooked.
This.

I believe she also used the word 'opportunistic'. Things change with the wind here and hate runs deep. Emotion and the need for vengeance make a lot of decisions in the heat of the moment and I can see this being used in ways it perhaps was not intended.

Azara scrolled T into the halls just to bind to him and successfully so. While really funny and reversible, it wouldn't be nearly as funny if they were stuck together forever when T had no choice in the matter.

It should surely be reversible and, also as Julia has suggested, both parties should have to pay in.

This should have been implemented in the Hall of Binding with both parties consent, or at the very least an option to sever them.
Koz
ophelia
OOC: -
IGN: ophelia
Lineage: Lokason
Graphic Artist: Greyce

Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:50 pm

Seyda wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:32 pm
ophelia wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:28 am
Seyda wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:23 am
I’m not even going to bother bring up mechanic issues anymore. Honestly, the characteristics that would make someone do this—having a small brain that doesn’t know what they don’t know but a giant ego that makes them think they do—are the exact same characteristics of people who won’t listen anyway.
Listen Blondie, I'm going to need you do dumb this down a bit.
Bringing up that there should have been conversation before people go and do things unilaterally because of unintended consequences is useless because the people doing it will just sit over there on a bus seat together talking about how great they are instead of recognizing the potential harm and complication they are creating for others by operating in a “I know best for all of you” vacuum.
I figured that's what you meant but I decided to take it upon myself to have you explain it in small words FOR THE PEOPLE ~insert the sarcasm~

Also, all of this.
ophelia

Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:54 pm

Arallara wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:47 pm
People always had the ability to make a blood oath and not have it shown. It doesn’t have to mean you are connected by love. The oath could be to hunt you or yours, it could be to protect you always. You are not required to reciprocate an oath or even to acknowledge it.
I hope, one day in the future you can look back on these words and reflect on just how stupid this sounds. Stupid, inconsiderate, careless ...just to name a few
Liander
OOC: Justin
IGN: Liander
Graphic Artist: Kris

Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:55 pm

Well it only took three pages for someone to to resort to "YOU'RE STUPID." Longer than I expected, really.

Edit: Three pages, not two.
MY CHURCH OFFERS NO ABSOLUTES

Tracker
ophelia

Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:02 pm

Except no one has said anyone is stupid? CHEERS!
Narcisssa
IGN: Narcisssa
Lineage: ...
Graphic Artist: Mandolin!

Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:09 pm

Imagine if this had been in effect during a certain tyrant’s reign, when he realized he was losing his grip.
This was a very bad idea.
Koz