Blood Oaths

For breaking news, journalistic reports, and other thought-provoking articles written by both staff and our readership.
Vex
Editor
OOC: Lyssa
IGN: Vex
Lineage: de Draak
Graphic Artist: Megatron

Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:38 am

This post will be updated as new information becomes available.

The ability to bind to another via blood oath has been introduced to the city by Anthony at Requiem of Hades. Available only at Walrus and 41st, this process costs 50,000 coins. Once you've got the coin on hand and both parties are present, you can request the blood oath ritual.

The Spectre holds both your arms as you feel a sensation transfer between you. You black out for a moment as the ritual is completed. You now feel a connection of closeness as their blood mixes and runs through your veins. A small mark is formed on the skin of your arm, the mark of XXX, showing the solidarity of your new Blood Oath.

While both parties must be present, the other party does not have to consent to the oathing (don't stick around that building if you've got stalkers!) Blood Oaths are not automatically reciprocal: the process can be carried out unilaterally and oathing to multiple people is permitted (up to a max of THUS FAR UNKNOWN - highest: 2). Information on blood oaths is discernible using Second Sight.

There is no benefit to the process; scrolls of succour/bondage cannot be used to join/pull a blood oathed partner. Unlike in the Halls of Binding/Severance, you can be robbed in the Requiem of Hades. Furthermore, there is no way to break these blood oaths, so ritual carefully *updated Sept 6 + 13, see update below.

Thanks to Hells Gate and anonymous for testing help!

—————

Update September 6 2020:
  • You may now release someone who has oath bound to you at the Hall of Severance. There is no consequence to either party for this action.
  • Coming soon: the ability to break an oath to someone, at high cost. Details TBD.
Update September 13 2020:
  • A blood oath can now be broken at the Hall of Severance at the cost of 20,000 pints (or all blood if you have under 20k)
𒀭𒄊𒀕𒃲
In this twilight how dare you speak of grace

Character Sheet - - The Recovery Diaries
Anthony
OOC: James
IGN: Anthony
Clan: Unaffiliated
Lineage: Blackstone
Graphic Artist: Tessa

Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:30 am

Just to quell the uncertainty, I would have been more then happy to share everything about it. Here are Specific Details of the Blood Oath.

Blood Oath:

Is just cosmetic. 50 coin to blood bind, no severing, no scroll connects. No chance of severance. No use of succor's

It is neither Sire, nor Childe, nor Partner. But, a bond between two people like siblings. Neither is better then the other, both are on equal ground.

It is not removable. This was implemented as in saying once their blood flows with yours, you are one. A sibling connection. You can leave your sibling, but they will always be a part of you.

Both Parties must be present to pledge their oath. Much like Binding, ensure you pick the right name before completion. Because, unlike Binding, you are stuck together.
<3 Arallara’s <3
House of Blackstone
Julia
IGN: Julia
Lineage: Pacherontis
Graphic Artist: Rhaeya

Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:07 am

So… no severances what so ever. Like a sibling… okay. But it’s an oath.

So, one can choose their family here, that's been a thing since the beginning. That’s a given. However, families can disown other family members, completely cut them off and out of their lives, why wouldn't they want to do that with oath bindings?

Mind you an oath is an oath. Oaths can be broken. And usually heavy penalties happen as a consequence.

What about Sires/partners summoning their childer(s)/Partner and forcing a blood oath on the other party because it’s not required that both parties pay, and there is no way to remove it. That is a flaw in the system, and extremely nonconsensual. Unless that has been discussed as well, and also the issue of people being able to rob other people in the building.

So, you could just say, oh, do not be in the same building at the same time… but obviously this was overlooked.
Last edited by Julia on Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
a morte e a ritorno | I fell asleep cradled by my melancholy.
ophelia
OOC: -
IGN: ophelia
Lineage: Lokason
Graphic Artist: Greyce

Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:35 am

Anthony wrote:
Just to quell the uncertainty, I would have been more then happy to share everything about it. Here are Specific Details of the Blood Oath.

Blood Oath:

Is just cosmetic. 50 coin to blood bind, no severing, no scroll connects. No chance of severance. No use of succor's

It is neither Sire, nor Childe, nor Partner. But, a bond between two people like siblings. Neither is better then the other, both are on equal ground.

It is not removable. This was implemented as in saying once their blood flows with yours, you are one. A sibling connection. You can leave your sibling, but they will always be a part of you.

Both Parties must be present to pledge their oath. Much like Binding, ensure you pick the right name before completion. Because, unlike Binding, you are stuck together.
I think it's pretty neato that he finally implemented this after SHOW ME THE MONEY after more than a decade of asking and it looks like most of it is what was asked for back then as was proposed for blood brother/sister purposes. I do think it should be removable but with a significant penalty,. It would have been nice to have some community input further on how this would happen but it looks like you get marked with XXX HAAAAY VIN DEISEL WAY TO INVADE RB.

The fact that both parties don't have to consent to this makes it feel sort of....gross though, in ways I can't quite describe.
Last edited by ophelia on Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lyrene
OOC: Jem
IGN: Sabrene
Lineage: Wilde
Graphic Artist: Anders

Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:57 am

Anthony wrote:
Just to quell the uncertainty, I would have been more then happy to share everything about it.
But......yet - you didn't. From 'your' get go, you didn't.

While I think having a blood oath with someone is awesome...and sacred..and something to respect.

Not on your terms.
She stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her away she adjusted her crown and kept
walking

NightWatch
Joy
OOC: Katie
IGN: Joy

Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:01 am

So just to be clear... it’s just two willful steps or a handful of non-censenting scrolls from the Halls to a permanent blood oath? Because if so now binding/severing rituals at the halls will need to include energy to move far enough away to not be poached. We’ve laughed it off in the hall of binding because of how easy it is to sever a non-consensual siring latching...but this new risk is not able to be undone.
|| de Draak ||
Lyrene

Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:05 am

Hey Joy, come meet me near the halls.
She stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her away she adjusted her crown and kept
walking

NightWatch
Joy
OOC: Katie
IGN: Joy

Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:13 am

Lyrene wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:05 am
Hey Joy, come meet me near the halls.
Oh hey...what happens when your abusive partner/sire that you are trying to sever really quick pulls you to the oath hall so you can’t get away so easily. That’s another example of this going wrong.
|| de Draak ||
Liander
OOC: Justin
IGN: Liander
Graphic Artist: Kris

Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:21 am

The Temple of Blood zeroes abusers free of charge.
MY CHURCH OFFERS NO ABSOLUTES

Tracker
Lyrene

Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:23 am

Okay so maybe some misplaced humour on my part there, my apologies Joy. My joke wasn't intended to offend.

I can see how it can be used and as said earlier, not for me. But, well, have at it!
walking

NightWatch