ANONYMOUS TIP LINE

For breaking news, journalistic reports, and other thought-provoking articles written by both staff and our readership.
Nyxx
IGN: Nyxx
Graphic Artist: AVA: Meg. Sig: Me

Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:39 pm

Ezra wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:12 pm
However, unlike those two threads, these anonymous tips will not be posted publicly.
There's no way back from this.
Gone
Vetras
IGN: Vetras

Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:41 pm

If tips are going to spark article ideas, how are they not being posted publicly in a sense?
᛫ R.I.P 06/12/2020 ᛫
Willa
OOC: Muffin
IGN: Willa
Graphic Artist: Lily~ | Megg

Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:45 pm

Vetras wrote:
If tips are going to spark article ideas, how are they not being posted publicly in a sense?
And spark chaos because of what I just laid out.
It's me. Hi. I'm the problem, It's me.

deDraak

Arallara
IGN: Arallara
Lineage: Blackstone
Graphic Artist: Tessa

Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:49 pm

Vetras wrote:
From the sounds of it the actual tip will not be posted. The reporters will take a tip, research it and build an article leaving the city to wonder if they got the idea from their own head or from a tip. It isn't a bad idea really as it will help the reporters gauge more accurately where interests currently stand and give them the potential to dig up things they might not otherwise consider.
<3 Anthony’s <3
House of Blackstone
Vetras
IGN: Vetras

Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:50 pm

I mean, okay. But I'm still waiting for a serious response. >.>

ETA: I can understand that, Ara. It does give reporters more of a pinpoint on where the interest is. But I think Willa's concern is a legitimate one. Articles that will be sparked in terms of whatever tips come in can cause schisms to happen. That's just a natural progression of anything done with any ounce of anonymity in the city. When reporters start asking questions, people will get suspicious as to why they're being asked whatever they are being asked if that's where the line of research goes. They will talk and those people will talk and those other people will talk. So on.
Last edited by Vetras on Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
᛫ R.I.P 06/12/2020 ᛫
Willa
OOC: Muffin
IGN: Willa
Graphic Artist: Lily~ | Megg

Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:59 pm

Vetras wrote:

ETA: I can understand that, Ara. It does give reporters more of a pinpoint on where the interest is. But I think Willa's concern is a legitimate one. Articles that will be sparked in terms of whatever tips come in can cause schisms to happen. That's just a natural progression of anything done with any ounce of anonymity in the city. When reporters start asking questions, people will get suspicious as to why they're being asked whatever they are being asked if that's where the line of research goes. They will talk and those people will talk and those other people will talk. So on.
Let me just be clear, too. I'd love for this to work and to be something that we could do here but that's my concern. Simple.
It's me. Hi. I'm the problem, It's me.

deDraak

Koj
OOC: Keo
IGN: Koj
Graphic Artist: AVA: Harv SIG: Tex

Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:02 pm

Back on topic about the actual anonymous tips.

'What about the community.' It runs on gossip and passive aggressive slights anyway. Who cares. If legitimate journalism gets done, go for it.
Oriel // Gealach // Jin
- - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - -
Get off my lawn.
Liander
OOC: Justin
IGN: Liander
Graphic Artist: Kris

Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:24 pm

Vetras wrote:
I mean, okay. But I'm still waiting for a serious response. >.>

Willa wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:21 pm
While this could be good for the reporters, the anonymity of it has a natural downside to it. There's always a downside to shit like this especially in a suspicious community like ours.

Depending on the tip itself, it has the potential to cause rifts and animosity within groups and stir up inevitable witch hunts. [Especially since people have the tendency to assume instead of ask questions.]

For example, a tip placed anonymously could be something along the lines of, 'Vex is an [silent] owner of the AB,' which causes a sense of hesitance [ and probably reluctance because it's Vex ] within portions of the community and a witch hunt forms to try to out the source that was shedding light on the 'silent partner.' [Because no one can just leave well enough alone. Everyone wants to know what everyone else knows, or what everyone else is doing. Let's get real.]

I hope that I'm wrong and this is not what happens with anonymous tip line but I see a very heavy chance of it causing more grief for the community than relief. The only group to gain any type of relief are the reporters, who gain tidbits to work into reports/articles that they otherwise might have overlooked or not known about at all.

These are legitimate concerns, and ones we have both heard and discussed amongst ourselves. However, the sad truth of the matter is that most citizens of this city are suspicious by nature. People will always question why a reporter is talking to them, convinced there must be an ulterior motive, leak, spy, shit starter, or whatever other excuse justifies their continued paranoia. Animosity, earned or not, comes with the job description as a reporter. Something you, Vetras, should know all too well from our brief time working together. Regardless of the intent behind any article, someone will always find issue with it.

This is an inescapable truth of media, that is controversial by its very nature.

Furthermore, we have always had sources. This changes nothing, except that now our sources can feel comfortable knowing they do not need to reveal their names or faces to us and risk the exposure of their identities. The game remains unchanged - we have simply shifted the power away from ourselves and to the community.

I thank you both for your thoughts on this matter. You have my personal assurance that if this tip line becomes in any way counter-productive to the goals we have continued to express here at Ab Antiquo (which remain, as always, the betterment of this community), it will either be reworked or done away with completely.

Nyxx wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:46 pm
Who knows, I'm not a reporter. I'm pretty surprised the #pcpoffenders group care about who's getting grief, though. #nosafespaces, right?
Oh, haha. Very witty. I bet all your friends gave you a little pat on the back for being #edgy at the #edgecrowd. Contribute something intelligent to this discussion or stop wasting our time. In attempting to mock people who only raised valid concerns in a constructive manner, you've made yourself look worse than you think they do.
MY CHURCH OFFERS NO ABSOLUTES

Tracker
Admin
Site Admin

Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:20 am

Mod Note: we've been lenient in this thread thus far. Any further derailing and off topic post will be split off and warnings will be issues.

---- [later]

Topic has been split, warnings will be issued accordingly.
Liander
OOC: Justin
IGN: Liander
Graphic Artist: Kris

Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:59 pm

I agree entirely and will look into the matter further. Warnings and moderation aren't in my job description, but you're both correct that standards need to be held across the board for everyone involved. For now though, I'd ask you to please keep this topic on point until this matter can be discussed and resolved.
MY CHURCH OFFERS NO ABSOLUTES

Tracker