Words of “Change”

Here is where you can grab the latest pieces from your favorite opinion writers. Anonymous submissions are posted here as well.
Anthony
OOC: James
IGN: Anthony
Clan: Unaffiliated
Lineage: Blackstone
Graphic Artist: Tessa

Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:22 am

A topic thrown throughout the papers/the city/ improvement planners. Yet, it is a position that is always beaten down and brought back down to the normality of the city. What is “Normality of the City”? Yes. The city has been in the same shape of politics, although different figure heads, unnecessary drama and a made up reasons to move forward, somehow some way. This is so common in RB that it is the Norm.

How to combat it? Well, it is hard when you attempt to make changes in the city with good intentions, but ultimately create more issues. My example would be Blood Potions. The tiny vial to replace 1000 BP, changing the course of war and making them last even longer. Like war always does and being creatures derived from humans, violence is in our nature. Each War, Past, Present and Odin forbid, Future, always introduces new devices of death. With Blood Pots come UV grenades to take more damage. Now from the rumor mills of undead silence, new weapons to combat the power we created.

These are an example and feel free to discuss that, or have more examples. Change is also debated to ensure ease of use to welcome new fledglings. This is a counterpoint used in many debates; however, it is a counterpoint that has been used for over 15+ years to counter any improvement. If helping new fledglings improve, why grant more and more obstacles for them to improve. A new fledgling wants to learn the ropes, they are hungry for knowledge. However, force feeding more and more down their throat and using them as a scapegoat, is not a way to welcome a fledgling.

What do we do? Well, this is my opinion of course. But, Welcome fledglings and show them the proper way to prosper, make the conversion into this new world of wonder, smooth and not overwhelming. We have fighters, we have politicians, not all are one type, and hence the few different leadership models we have in the Clans, Families and Guilds.
<3 Arallara’s <3
House of Blackstone
Seyda
OOC: Stephanie
IGN: Seyda
Lineage: St. John
Graphic Artist: Kenna

Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:43 am

I think a majority of us in the city are in agreement. I would like to know more about what the proper way to prosper looks like, because I think that's where the consensus begins to split.
drew
IGN: drewbeary
Lineage: Morais

Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:18 am

Seyda wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:43 am
I think a majority of us in the city are in agreement. I would like to know more about what the proper way to prosper looks like, because I think that's where the consensus begins to split.
^^^^
Quade
IGN: Quade

Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:29 pm

Anthony wrote:
violence is in our nature.

tru as fuck.

but from what ive seen people well two people specifically around here mistaken violence for cruelty and use this quote to justify cruelty not violence.

thats just a random thought i dont know or care about the other shit yet

these powers r kickin my ass
Proficimus More Irretenti
im a clown. like john wayne gacy.

-Signature Credit to KatieKat-
Anthony

Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:25 am

A very good question and glad that someone brought it forward. It is one of those questions that elude even the best of Leaders/Elders/Sires. First question is, if I am asking this question, either, what am I doing wrong, or what can I do to be better. From experience both education and firsthand knowledge to work in and out of the situation, Leadership is formed and spread throughout by none other than those willing and able to lead. Sometimes those most qualified are those not wanting the mantle or responsibility. But, you never know until you challenge yourself.

A leader from my past made me study a book and the book was very informative and gave a list of seven ways to be a good leader and to institute the proper way to prosper. Some of these may be more difficult than others, but there are so many ways to be a Good, Bad, Decent, or even, a Bad leader. I will leave those to your own interpretation.

Seven ways to institute a good foundation of a solid leadership role are; Be a team player. Lead from where you are. Be an expert, but learn and master new skills. Be open to feedback and criticism, and use it to grow. Demonstrate a firm understanding of fledgling and of those around, needs. Learn to communicate well. And, take actions and make recommendations for the good of the city/clan/family, not you.

I am open, as I am sure others are as well, to hear other suggestions or other ways to “proper way to prosper”.
<3 Arallara’s <3
House of Blackstone
Lilou
OOC: Adan
IGN: Lilou
Lineage: Halcyon

Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:04 am

Hello! I'm curious about this conversation, and while I don't have any clan or leadership experience myself, I'd like to contribute a bit.
Anthony wrote:
A very good question and glad that someone brought it forward. It is one of those questions that elude even the best of Leaders/Elders/Sires. First question is, if I am asking this question, either, what am I doing wrong, or what can I do to be better. From experience both education and firsthand knowledge to work in and out of the situation, Leadership is formed and spread throughout by none other than those willing and able to lead. Sometimes those most qualified are those not wanting the mantle or responsibility. But, you never know until you challenge yourself.
While this is very true, I believe that the fear of failure, mockery, and betrayal holds some back from exploring the challenges you suggest. In saying that, however, I realize those are common fears to have. Hm.
Anthony wrote:
A leader from my past made me study a book and the book was very informative and gave a list of seven ways to be a good leader and to institute the proper way to prosper. Some of these may be more difficult than others, but there are so many ways to be a Good, Bad, Decent, or even, a Bad leader. I will leave those to your own interpretation.

Seven ways to institute a good foundation of a solid leadership role are; Be a team player. Lead from where you are. Be an expert, but learn and master new skills. Be open to feedback and criticism, and use it to grow. Demonstrate a firm understanding of fledgling and of those around, needs. Learn to communicate well. And, take actions and make recommendations for the good of the city/clan/family, not you.
These are all wonderful points! Might I suggest another book? A very good friend had me read this last year, and it changed the entire way I thought about my relationships and the way that I was communicating with people. The Four Agreements is the title, and it's written by Don Miguel Ruiz. The introduction can be confusing and difficult to get through, but if you press on it has some very insightful perceptions.
Anthony wrote:
I am open, as I am sure others are as well, to hear other suggestions or other ways to “proper way to prosper”.
I wonder if some leaders, both past and present, would be at all willing to mentor those with a keen interest in leadership. It seems to me that it might be very difficult for individuals with fresh ideas and goals to gain their footing, and I could see a mentoring program proving to be beneficial. Of course, people don't want to give up their "trade secrets," so to speak.

Unfortunately, Seyda is correct. I've observed groups attempt a roundtable of sorts on a few different occasions, and it only served to breed more discontent between said groups. I'd wager this has a lot to do with various groups possessing different mindsets and not knowing how to communicate in a positive, or at least neutral, manner.
H A L C Y O N .
Vex
Editor
OOC: Lyssa
IGN: Vex
Lineage: de Draak
Graphic Artist: Megatron

Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:17 am

𒀭𒄊𒀕𒃲
In this twilight how dare you speak of grace

Character Sheet - - The Recovery Diaries
Anthony

Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:56 am

Most would be self-assessment before moving forward. A leader must be open to criticism, it happens from one way to another. A group “Census Session” would help, only if the leadership is open minded. Should you follow all suggestion? Maybe, but nice to know what it is that is bringing down morale and improve if needed or wanted.

I have read “The Four Agreements” and indeed many great elements. His other book “The Voice of Knowledge” has a great quote:

“The only way to end our emotional suffering and restore our joy in living is to stop believing in lies.”

Which rings loudly in the eyes as well as actions taking by myself in haste. Like I have stated before, Self-assessment is a wonderful way to catch anything that may have adverse effects to everyone around you. On the counter, the same could also be said for the positive aspects, boosts in morale being the main focus of course.

Round-table groups for leaders are always tough. I look at leaders as being Alpha Positives and Alpha Negatives. A positive just knows. Does not have to announce it or show it. A negative are those that are loud for no reason and is pretty much the bulldog. In some instances a Negative is great to have mainly in war as a Lt for the leader, thinks for their self and win at all costs. Alphas think, strategize and listens to all scenarios and works it out in their head. Pros/Cons, adverse /positive effects all that in my mind to show great competence.

We are lucky to have a few Alpha Positives in the community and they flourish well. The Few Alpha Negatives are the ones that everyone sees fighting to stay above the surface.

Vex, that article is great! Should be a nice staple to read for future leaders.
<3 Arallara’s <3
House of Blackstone
Ezra
OOC: Micah
IGN: Ezra
Lineage: de Draak

Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:27 pm

Quade wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:29 pm
Anthony wrote:
violence is in our nature.

tru as fuck.

but from what ive seen people well two people specifically around here mistaken violence for cruelty
This is one of the biggest issues I personally have with the general “vibe” of this city, and many past and current city leaders. Us being vampires/whatever else is often used as a justification tool for abuse and atrocities, and I just don’t at all personally think what we are physiologically needs to have any sway on how we are psychologically, or even if it does have sway, it’s not the sole determinant.
laeti vescimur nos subacturis
A N D E R S — f a m i l i a . s u p r a . o m n i a — V E X I A N
CHARACTER SHEET
Lilou
OOC: Adan
IGN: Lilou
Lineage: Halcyon

Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:23 pm

Preach.

Vex, thank you for linking the article. I'm going to bookmark it and read tonight.
H A L C Y O N .