Consensus Gentium Debate: What basic features must a great leader possess in this city?

Debate forum for Consensus Gentium topics.

Moderator: Joy

Joy
OOC: Katie
IGN: Joy
Lineage: de Draak

Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:20 am

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

How to Play Consensus Gentium wrote:Consensus Gentium is to decide on what is true or right based on a general agreement among the masses.

That will be the goal of this section: weighing over and wrestling with various topics until a general conclusion can be reasonably drawn by a majority.

When a question/topic is put forth to discuss* it will be open for ten days of debate before closing. Once closed there will be a three day voting period to determine the consensus gentium.

While readers are encouraged to participate in the comments section below, we will also be allowing for anonymous discussion**. Opinions submitted anonymously will be posted by staff as such in order to add them to the conversation. Voting will be submitted privately, with results posted publicly. Any topic/question put forth will be shelved for 6 months once it is decided on after which it can be resubmitted for debate again.

*Suggest a topic/question anonymously here: THE PLACE
**Submit an opinion anonymously here: THE OTHER PLACE

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Our next topic of debate is (you probably guessed this) reader submitted! There have been a lot of great topics suggested recently and getting to all of them will take some time, but fret not all of you who submitted topics to debate. I'm going to be overlapping debates in the future until topics become scarce again. In around five days, when usually one debate starts to wrap up, I will put up another topic that was submitted. This whole city is an experiment and here we go ONWARD!

The pool of people who think themselves great leaders is deep and wide. Of those who have an actual following it is more of a puddle. What it takes to be a formidable leader is a special combination of rare talents that are followed through on consistently, but what are they? Is the ideal leader a hard working altruist, a force to be reckoned with, or something else entirely? Let's talk clan commanders, lineage leaders, chairmen of committees, units of liquid measurement, any position of power in charge of others. Every opinion counts here.

What basic features must a great leader possess in this city?
|| de Draak ||
Anthony
OOC: James
IGN: Anthony
Clan: Unaffiliated
Lineage: Blackstone
Graphic Artist: Tessa

Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:51 am

This is actually a topic I had going for awhile. It is one that I like to reignite usually after a conflict of some sort, so this timing is actually right on par. The thing is that when discussing the leadership aspect of actually leading, it always goes into interpretation and words understood and regurgitated by those that practice and preach it. I will pretty much summarize from my last posting a few months ago and kind of rekindle this spark.

A topic thrown throughout the papers/the city/ improvement planners. Yet, it is a position that is always beaten down and brought back down to the normality of the city. What is “Normality of the City”? Yes. The city has been in the same shape of politics, although different figure heads, unnecessary drama and a made up reasons to move forward, some how/some way. This is so common in RB that it is the Norm.

Change is also debated to ensure ease of use to welcome new fledglings. This is a counterpoint used in many debates; however, it is a counterpoint that has been used for over 15+ years to counter any improvement. If helping new fledglings improve, why grant more and more obstacles for them to improve. A new fledgling wants to learn the ropes, they are hungry for knowledge. However, force feeding more and more down their throat and using them as a scapegoat, is not a way to welcome a fledgling.

What do we do? Welcome fledglings and show them the proper way to prosper, make the conversion into this new world of wonder smooth and not overwhelming. We have fighters, we have politicians, not all are one type, and hence the few different leadership models we have in the Clans, Families and Guilds. This is not a fix or even a suggestion; it is my observation of the city throughout the years.

How to "Proper way to Prosper" ? It is one of those comments that elude even the best of Leaders/Elders/Sires. First question is, if I am asking this question, either, what am I doing wrong, or what can I do to be better. From experience both education and firsthand knowledge to work in and out of the situation, Leadership is formed and spread throughout by none other than those willing and able to lead. Sometimes those most qualified are those not wanting the mantle or responsibility. But, you never know until you challenge yourself.

A leader from my past made me study a book and the book was very informative and gave a list of seven ways to be a good leader and to institute the proper way to prosper. Some of these may be more difficult than others, but there are so many ways to be a Good, Bad, Decent, or even, a Bad leader. I will leave those to your own interpretation.

Seven ways to institute a good foundation of a solid leadership role are; Be a team player. Lead from where you are. Be an expert, but learn and master new skills. Be open to feedback and criticism, and use it to grow. Demonstrate a firm understanding of fledgling and of those around, needs. Learn to communicate well. And, take actions and make recommendations for the good of the city/clan/family, not you.

Most would be self-assessment before moving forward. A leader must be open to criticism, it happens from one way to another. A group “Sensing Session” would help, only if the leadership is open minded. Should you follow all suggestions? Maybe, but nice to know what it is that is bringing down morale and improve if needed or wanted.

I have read a book called the “The Four Agreements” by Don Miguel Ruiz, and indeed many great elements. His other book “The Voice of Knowledge” has a great quote:

“The only way to end our emotional suffering and restore our joy in living is to stop believing in lies.”

Which rings loudly in the eyes as well as actions taking by myself in haste. Like I have stated before, Self-assessment is a wonderful way to catch anything that may have adverse effects to everyone around you. On the counter, the same could also be said for the positive aspects, boosts in morale being the main focus of course.

Roundtable groups for leaders are always tough. I look at leaders as being Alpha Positives and Alpha Negatives. A Positive just knows. Does not have to announce it or show it. A Negative is those that are loud for no reason and is pretty much the bulldog. In some instances a Negative is great to have mainly in war as a Lt. for the leader, thinks for their self and win at all costs. Alphas think, strategize and listens to all scenarios and works it out in their head. Pros/Cons, adverse /positive effects, all that in my mind show great competence.

We are lucky to have a few Alpha Positives in the community and they flourish well. The Few Alpha Negatives are the ones that everyone sees fighting to stay above the surface.

These are words and topics I tend to bring forward a lot. Most go their own ways and doubt read anything, simply because they think and feel "Hey, my way has always worked." But, to that, It is never bad to have more tools in your tool bag to learn and to adapt to each new situation. I had a leader tell me once "A lot of leaders always forget where they came from...Never lose that, or you will lose yourself."

Thank you Joy for bringing this back into light.
<3 Arallara’s <3
House of Blackstone
Joy

Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:10 pm

Anonymous submission wrote:
What basic features must a great leader possess in this city? "The capacity to know when to shut the fuck up."
|| de Draak ||
Joy

Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:37 am

Anthony wrote:
The city has been in the same shape of politics, although different figure heads, unnecessary drama and a made up reasons to move forward, some how/some way. This is so common in RB that it is the Norm.
I agree with the first part of this and not with the second. This city is fluid, taking the shape of those who hold it while the substance stays the same. Drama is necessary, excitement is necessary, boring is necessary, love is necessary, less options is less. Some of my favorite leaders know how to push and pull, appreciating both.

Anthony wrote:
Change is also debated to ensure ease of use to welcome new fledglings. This is a counterpoint used in many debates; however, it is a counterpoint that has been used for over 15+ years to counter any improvement. If helping new fledglings improve, why grant more and more obstacles for them to improve. A new fledgling wants to learn the ropes, they are hungry for knowledge. However, force feeding more and more down their throat and using them as a scapegoat, is not a way to welcome a fledgling.
It's not only about new people. We have to take care of our elders as well because when they get bored the city takes as big of a hit as when we don't have fledglings. In fact, if I had a leader that only ever gave care to the shiny new things I'd quit that leader pretty fast. There is no shortage of care for newbs, just arguments on what good care looks like - debates just like this!

Anthony wrote:
A leader must be open to criticism, it happens from one way to another. <snip) nice to know what it is that is bringing down morale and improve if needed or wanted.
AGREE! SO much. This is something I would certainly say is a big part of leadership. Failure to hear feedback or grievances with maturity and compassion means you have neither.

Anthony wrote:
I look at leaders as being Alpha Positives and Alpha Negatives.
Another direct hit for me! I love these terms for the two types of leaders there are in the city. I would say that each of these types have strengths in different ways, as you noted. Perhaps the perfect leader is an Alpha All, a bit of both.
|| de Draak ||
Lorrana
OOC: Ashley
IGN: Lorrana
Lineage: Amandine

Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:55 am

Joy wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:10 pm
Anonymous submission wrote:
What basic features must a great leader possess in this city? "The capacity to know when to shut the fuck up."
Growing on this some, and points Anthony made. To me, a great leader needs to take a seat when the time calls for it. One person cannot be the know-all, end-all of everything. They need to understand that their way is not always the right way. Not always the best way.

And something I constantly see NOT happening and it's disgusting. Own up to your fuck ups. So yeah, to sum up.

Sit down and know when to shut up. Own up to your mistakes.
Nemesis
IGN: Nemesis
Lineage: Cuan

Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:10 am

Know your own faults and shortcomings. We all have them, despite some thinking otherwise.

I tend to be - not anti social - but one that doesn't feel comfortable taking the initiative in talking to other leaders. I need encouragement. Thus, it makes all the reason in the word to have a second person backing you up that balance you, pushes you to strive to be even better. Even leaders need a push or boost from time to time.
I would love to walk up to some leaders, and other people in general, and just be like 'HI!"... But I don't. I work behind the scenes instead. This is something I am working on, however. Someone referred at me as 'aloof' at one point. Maybe I am to an extent, or maybe its just shyness.

Also, all leaders should listen to those surrounding them, whether it's a second or the whole lot that follow them. I guess that falls into the criticism category. You need to have someone solid to pull you aside and say 'dude, you may want to rethink this...'.

Now I feel like I've talked to much....going off to that corner over there ~~~>
** Disasterpiece **
** VooDoo Queen **
Anthony
OOC: James
IGN: Anthony
Clan: Unaffiliated
Lineage: Blackstone
Graphic Artist: Tessa

Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:04 am

If we want to break down actual Leaderships styles and forms then we can. It is a debate that goes round and round simply because every leader, Good/Bad/Indifferent, believes their style is the right one. A quick break down since I m not actually seeing a style type in the discussion. And sorry for droning on, I tailored a speech a made on leadership in specifically for our community.

Authoritarian/Autocratic: A leader in this roll tells Their people what to do and how to do it, without getting their advice.

Participative/Democratic: A leader includes one or more individuals in the decision making process, however leader normally maintains the final decision or say-so authorization.

Delegative/Laissez-Fair (free-rein): A leader allows the people under them to make the decisions. The leader is still responsible for the Choices that are being made.

Paternalism: (Allow me to Quote the US Army Here): A means of getting people to do what you want them to do. It is the means or method to achieve two ends: operating and improving. But there is more to influencing than simply passing along orders. The example you set is just as important as the words you speak. And you set an example—good or bad—with every action you take and word you utter, on or off duty. Through your words and example, you must communicate purpose, direction, and motivation. (US Army-for pretty much the entire existence of the military)

I am sure there are more, but these are all that I have experience in my time under different leaders. All are effective, in different situations from a stagnant situation all the way to a combat situation. Each used concurrently or separate, either way, good bases to follow if looking for specifics.

U.S. Army. (1983). Military Leadership. Field Manual 22-100. Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office.
<3 Arallara’s <3
House of Blackstone
Quade
IGN: Quade

Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:22 am

free snacks
Proficimus More Irretenti
im a clown. like john wayne gacy.

-Signature Credit to KatieKat-
Ezra
OOC: Micah
IGN: Ezra

Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:48 am

My biggest things I look for in a leader are these (and it’s just for what I look for, and I truly believe those needs change depending on the person):

1. Ability to take criticism. Not all criticism is valid, but all criticism should be heard and understood before discarding or adopting changes based on it.

2. Empathy for their people and, most difficult, for those outside of their faction. You don’t have to be a bleeding heart to understand we are all just people trying our best, even if our best falls short. The biggest way I look for this to manifest is a willingness in second chances.

3. A flexible vision. Every leader has an idea of what they want in a group, but sometimes needs change, and anyone who is so rigid in their ideals that they can’t listen to the will of those who call that group home should step down. Tradition and goals are important. Unity is more important.

4. Stepping back from time to time. I think all leaders should have a cohort of those they trust around them, and allow those people to make decisions on occasion, and consult them often. Allowing individual, average members to have a strong voice and lead change is important, too. Not being able to be flexible with leadership breeds a figurehead, and I would never follow someone whose highest goal is that they, themselves, be the leader, rather than their goals and beliefs being shared.
laeti vescimur nos subacturis
A N D E R S — f a m i l i a . s u p r a . o m n i a — V E X I A N
CHARACTER SHEET
Joy

Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:38 pm

Quade wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:22 am
free snacks
Like honey or hunnies? Or both?