Consensus Gentium Debate: Are we weakening our community in acting against our supernatural brethren?

Debate forum for Consensus Gentium topics.

Moderator: Joy

Joy
OOC: Katie
IGN: Joy
Lineage: de Draak

Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:03 pm

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

How to Play Consensus Gentium wrote:Consensus Gentium is to decide on what is true or right based on a general agreement among the masses.

That will be the goal of this section: weighing over and wrestling with various topics until a general conclusion can be reasonably drawn by a majority.

When a question/topic is put forth to discuss* it will be open for ten days of debate before closing. Once closed there will be a three day voting period to determine the consensus gentium.

While readers are encouraged to participate in the comments section below, we will also be allowing for anonymous discussion**. Opinions submitted anonymously will be posted by staff as such in order to add them to the conversation. Voting will be submitted privately, with results posted publicly. Any topic/question put forth will be shelved for 6 months once it is decided on after which it can be resubmitted for debate again.

*Suggest a topic/question anonymously here: THE PLACE
**Submit an opinion anonymously here: THE OTHER PLACE

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

WEREWOLVES HAVE ENTERED RAVENBLACK CITY… from the start of its existence. This isn’t a new development. Between skinwalkers, wargs, huli jing, kitty people, and Lycans we have long been home to all sorts of beings that prefer to pad on four claws rather than skulk hunched and hissing through the shadows. I really prefer the latter myself, but variety is the spice of life, baby.

The new development is that this breed is rearing its gnarled maw simply to be able to chew us up and spit us out (quite effectively too). These werewolves do not hesitate and will brutally attack on sight without conscience, acting as an enemy. Unlike fighting Paladins, Hunters, and lay human enemies however, these creatures are supernatural just like us. When fighting any powerful, evolved treasures of magic and might the question can be raised:

Are we weakening our community in acting against our supernatural brethren?

Every opinion counts here.
|| de Draak ||
xxsacrificexx
OOC: Brandy
IGN: xxsacrificexx
Lineage: Houlihan
Graphic Artist: Harv

Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:25 am

I feel like it's too early to say for sure. I have a lot of concerns.

In reality, lycans make up a significant portion of our population. Hunting them would look like an elitist extermination.

The idea sickens me.

I'm having difficulty distinguishing between the ongoing brutality between vampires and this apparent lycan threat.

You can't condemn one without condemning them both.
Arallara
IGN: Arallara
Lineage: Blackstone
Graphic Artist: Tessa

Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:55 am

To be fair, we aren’t starting the fight here. Walking the city we have always come across citizens of various races and we haven’t hunted them other than within the confines of war, at least to my knowledge. These Paladins and Werewolves recently walking our streets have distinguished themselves as separate and different and to my knowledge have always attacked first. We are well within our rights to defend ourselves and protect our families and friends from those who attack us, it is a time honored tradition in the city. Continuing it doesn’t weaken us, but perhaps allows us to learn and grow.
<3 Anthony’s <3
House of Blackstone
Joy

Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:48 am

xxsacrificexx wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:25 am
I'm having difficulty distinguishing between the ongoing brutality between vampires and this apparent lycan threat.

You can't condemn one without condemning them both.
Arallara wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:55 am
We are well within our rights to defend ourselves and protect our families and friends from those who attack us, it is a time honored tradition in the city.

There appears to be an agreement that no, it doesn't weaken our community, but from two different perspectives on why. Either because of the fact that we already have a problem with attacking fellow supernaturals or because it is our duty to defend no matter who's attacking.

Strangely, while those two agree that we are not weakening our community, they don't agree on if it is wrong to attack supernaturals in general. As that is not the question posed, I won't debate it, but it is certainly something that's been brought up in the last few months.

As there are no other opinions being put forth at this time, I'm wondering if this will be the first clean sweep. Speak now or forever hold your peace!
|| de Draak ||
Vex
Editor
OOC: Lyssa
IGN: Vex
Graphic Artist: Megatron

Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:52 am

In a nutshell, anything that attacks without provocation should be put down, whether it's supernatural - like the werewolves - or human. If they're starting something they can't finish, that's on them. We rarely, if ever, attack these creatures first, so I'm not particularly opposed to redecorating using their guts...
𒀭𒄊𒀕𒃲
In this twilight how dare you speak of grace

Character Sheet - - The Recovery Diaries
CordaTacita
OOC: Tristian
IGN: Corda Tacita
Clan: Sonvar
Lineage: Fallen-Tazio

Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:30 am

These things may walk and look like werewolves, but they are not werewolves. More like rabid dogs that need to be put out of their misery, high chance they are also the victims in this. Who's to say there is no one behind these things, pulling the strings from the shadows. They also could be responsible for the paladins as well. Who knows.
Tazio forever. You will forever be loved and missed
♡Tyson☆Nar♡Damia☆Drayden♡
drew
IGN: drewbeary
Lineage: Morais

Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:25 am

Vex wrote:
In a nutshell, anything that attacks without provocation should be put down, whether it's supernatural - like the werewolves - or human.
This
DezMarie
IGN: DezMarie
Graphic Artist: Bree

Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:08 am

Vex wrote:
In a nutshell, anything that attacks without provocation should be put down, whether it's supernatural - like the werewolves - or human.
I agree with this whole heartedly. Having been attacked unprovoked by such things and having to choose to defend myself or bleed out and die on city streets attributed to my revoking my vows of neutrality.
|Jenny's Dragonfly|Kat's Indigo|Max's Huntress|
I wasn't well but I had peace
I had hope
Normal things
Joy

Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:20 am

Just two more days for this debate, but since everyone already agrees I am considering that there isn't a poll necessary. Is there anyone out there who thinks we should be leaving these new, mindlessly vicious werewolves alone during the full moon until they turn back? Speak now or forever hold your peace...

You can also give your opinion anonymously HERE. In the case of an anonymous post, I will bring your opinion to the debate on your behalf.
|| de Draak ||